Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tuna Marinara


Ever since we wrapped up our 72 hour kits, I've had food storage on the brain.  I've put together 7 weeks' worth of meals, and I'm now in the process of converting some family favorites into food-storage-friendly recipes.  This recipe was the first one I experimented with, and it is was a HUGE success!  I got the basic recipe from my friend, and I've tweaked it to our tastes/preferences...

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c. olive oil
  • 2 (7 oz) cans of tuna, drained
  • 1 T. Italian seasoning
  • 1 T. basil
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
  • 4-6 garlic cloves, sliced
  • salt, to taste
  • 5 (14.5 oz) cans of stewed tomatoes, Italian style
  • 1 can black olives, drained & chopped
  • 1 T. beef bouillon
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1 generous handful flat-leaf parsley, minced
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, bring olive oil to a simmer.  Add seasonings, tuna, and garlic and return to a simmer.  Cook until garlic is tender, stirring occasionally (careful not to burn garlic).
  2. Add stewed tomatoes, olives, bouillon and brown sugar; stir well.  Remove from heat and transfer to crockpot.
  3. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  4. Add flat-leaf parsley to pot and stir well.  Serve over prepared pasta.
Ok, here's the deal.  I realize how scary tuna marinara might sound.  Let me just say that we are not a tuna family, and everyone loved this!  Seriously, me and the hub were eating the sauce straight from the pot with a spoon.  That's how you know it's good.  *B

No comments: