Sunday, January 11, 2015

FSP Week 2

Welcome to week two of my food storage journey!  All right peeps, here's the deal: I don't particularly like cooking with canned food.  I'd much rather use fresh ingredients, and I usually do.  Unfortunately, fresh food (whether from the grocery store or your homestead) may not be available when emergency strikes...  It's always better to be prepared, just in case!

The meals I have planned for our 13 week supply are based off of our typical family meals.  Which means I am spending these next few months learning how to convert our normally fresh meals to more shelf stable options.  If you are following along and have no desire to build up your storage supply, then please be my guest and use fresh ingredients.

Most of the recipes as originally posted use a mixture of fresh and canned.  This also means that even though I have linked to the recipes I will be using, they may not be food storage friendly in their original format.  I plan on experimenting and tweaking as I go, so make sure to check the recipes frequently for updates.  Ideally, I would like each recipe to have the option to be prepared using fresh, canned, or dried ingredients.

For now, I suggest you print out the original recipes as they are, and then make notes as I edit them.  I certainly don't pretend to know all there is to know about food storage.  I'm learning!  It's going to take some time, some trial and some error.  So please, bear with me and enjoy the learning process ;)



Mexican Monday: Southwest Chicken w/Rice
Oriental Tuesday: Asian Soup
Twisted Wednesday: Chicken Gravy w/ Baking Powder Biscuits
Authentic Thursday: Butternut Squash Pasta
Simple Saturday: cold cereal
Special Sunday: Coq Sans Vin


Shopping List:
  • salsa
  • soy sauce (low sodium)
  • 25 oz. butternut squash sauce
  • apple cider vinegar (Bragg's)
  • 4-5 cans of chicken
  • 1 can of beef
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 2 cans black olives
  • 3 cans diced tomatoes
  • 3 cans mushrooms
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 3 mixed veggies (frozen or canned)
  • carrots (fresh, frozen or canned)
  • spinach (fresh/frozen/canned/dried)
  • green onion (opt)
  • cilantro (opt)
  • garlic head OR garlic powder
  • red potatoes (fresh, whole canned, or dehydrated)
  • 64 oz.. chicken broth (can, carton, or prepared bouillon)
  • 1 c. beef broth
  • 2 eggs (opt, fresh or prepared powdered)
  • chicken bouillon
  • brown sugar
  • dried onions
  • butter
  • oil (olive/coconut)
  • flour
  • instant mashed potatoes (2 family servings)
  • wide rice noodles
  • 16 oz. pasta
  • meatballs or sausage (fresh, frozen or dehydrated)
  • cottage cheese (opt)
  • parmesan cheese
  • bacon bits
  • seasonings: cumin, ginger, cayenne, salt, pepper, thyme, basil, celery seeds, parsley, bay leaves
  • favorite cold cereal
  • milk (DF, powdered, whichever you prefer to use)
This week's Build Your Food Storage is 5 cans of chicken broth.  This is to be purchased in addition to what is listed above.  Remember, we're building up our long-term storage supply at the same time we're buying the ingredients necessary for shorter term storage.  Hopefully between the two, we'll have plenty of food to work with in case of an emergency!  *B

No comments: