Sunday, January 18, 2015

FSP Week 3

Annnnd we're on to week three of food storage meal planning!  I've personally learned a lot this past week, and I'm excited for all the future knowledge I'm bound to gain in the next ten weeks of prepping.  I'm especially thrilled with the idea of dehydrating frozen foods.  Talk about easy and affordable food storage!  I'm testing out my very first batch right now in my brand new dehydrator, so fingers crossed I wake up to some dried veggies...

Mexican Monday: Fajita Bowls
Oriental Tuesday: Peanut Satay
Twisted Wednesday: Split Pea Soup
Authentic Thursday: Bayou Chicken Pasta
TGIFriday: Tuna Melts
Simple Saturday: cold cereal
Special Sunday: Creamy Turkey & Rice Soup




Shopping List
  • coconut oil
  • 4 cans of chicken
  • 3 cans of mushrooms
  • 1 bag frozen peppers and onions
  • 1 bag of stir fry veggies
  • cornstarch
  • brown sugar
  • salt & pepper
  • paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, ginger, thyme, celery seeds, creole seasoning, parsley, lemon pepper, garlic salt, sage
  • peanut butter
  • chicken broth (68 oz total)
  • soy sauce
  • pad thai style rice noodles
  • can water chestnuts
  • dried split peas (1 c.)
  • bacon bits
  • 1 can of ham (opt)
  • dried onion
  • 2 cans of carrots
  • 16 oz. pasta
  • canned green chiles
  • 2 cans evaporated milk (or coconut milk)
  • cans of diced tomatoes
  • parmesan cheese
  • 2 cans of tuna
  • mayonnaise
  • dill pickles
  • loaf of bread
  • shredded cheese
  • favorite cold cereal*
  • 1 stick of butter
  • wild/brown rice
  • flour (favorite GF blend)
  • milk (powdered, favorite DF)
  • apple cider vinegar
*Note: In case you haven't noticed, I schedule cold cereal for dinner once a week.  I do this for a few reasons...  For one, cold cereal is a treat as we normally have a hot breakfast every morning.  Secondly, sometimes I just need a super simple dinner option!  If me and the hub have a hot date lined up, then the kids get their special dinner of cold cereal (their choice).  Or let's say I have a fridge full of leftovers come Saturday night, so we are left with the option of cold cereal or leftovers for dinner.  Keeps things fun and easy, and seems to work well for our family.  If you would rather schedule an extra meal into your weekly plan, then fine by me!  Whatever floats your boat.

And don't forget this week's Build Your Food Storage: 20 lbs white sugar.  This is to be purchased in addition to what is listed above.  Remember, we're building up our long-term storage supply at the same time we're buying the ingredients necessary for shorter term storage.  Hopefully between the two, we'll have plenty of food to work with in case of an emergency!  *B

1 comment:

Matt and Jeanette said...

Angela, my sister, just told me about your blog! Excited to snoop around! equally excited to try those oatmeal cookies!