Sunday, February 15, 2015

Summers' Shepherd Pie

This is one of my husband's favorite meals from childhood, and I usually only make it for his birthday...  I grew up with a VERY different version of shepherd's pie, so it's always "confusing" for me when I make it.  But I do like it, too.  Just probably not as much as my husband ;)

Ingredients:
  • ¾ lb. ground meat, cooked -or- 1 c. TVP, rehydrated in 1 c. beef broth
  • 1 T. dried onions
  • 1-2 cans of mushrooms, drained
  • 2 cans green beans, drained -or- 2-3 c. frozen -or- 1 c. dried, rehdyrated in chicken broth
  • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup*
  • 1 t. mustard (opt)
  • 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1 small bag of tater tots
  • cheese (opt)
Directions:
     Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole dish, except tater tots and cheese, and mix well.  Top with tater tots and bake in preheated oven until bubbling, about 30 minutes at 350.  Add an even layer of cheese and bake/broil until melted.  Serve warm with a side salad.

*Note: I generally make one batch of cream of whatever soup with (rice)milk and then another batch with chicken/beef broth, for a total of two cans' worth of soup.

No comments: